What is The Music Education Policy Roundtable?
Mission and Core Values:
The Music Education Policy Roundtable is the vehicle through which organizations dedicated to ensuring the presence and preservation of school music programs operated by certified music educators teaching sequential, standards-based music education to students across the national collectively advocate for these goals.
Originally conceived of and formalized by the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) and the American String Teachers Association (ASTA), The Roundtable shield has come to represent the unification of a great many music education organizations unified under a single policy banner, working together in efforts to achieve a consensus set of federal legislative recommendations, on behalf of the profession and all of those who stand to benefit from its contributions to education.
The formalization of The Music Education Policy Roundtable in June 2011 represented a watershed moment for the music community as a whole. Associations choosing to opt-in to this new coalition and its activities will be making a strong public statement that the field of music stands united in support of our goals and the cause that we all hold so dear. Through strength in numbers and dedicated year-round advocacy, we are slowly beginning to change minds in Washington, DC, and attitudes across the country about the importance and necessity of maintaining classroom music. The American String Research Association and its Roundtable partners are deeply devoted to the cause of building out a proficient and highly influential music coalition and have devoted significant staff time and resources to achieving results. We hope to bring along as many like-minded music organizations as possible as we continue pursuing this exciting next chapter in our collaborative advocacy work.
The Music Education Policy Roundtable members now include:
- American Choral Directors Association
- American Orff-Schulwerk Association
- American School Band Directors Association
- American String Teachers Association
- Barbershop Harmony Society
- Chorus America
- College Band Directors National Association
- Drum Corps International
- Education Through Music
- El Sistema USA: A National Alliance of El Sistema Inspired Programs
- Gordon Institute for Music Learning
- GRAMMY Foundation
- Guitar and Accessories Marketing Association
- J. W. Pepper & Sons Inc.
- Jazz at Lincoln Center
- League of American Orchestras
- Little Kids Rock
- Music for All
- Music Teachers National Association
- Music Publishers Association
- Music Sales Group / MusicFirst
- National Association for Music Education
- National Association of Music Merchants
- National Association of Music Parents
- National Music Council
- Organization of American Kodály Educators
- Percussive Arts Society
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
- Progressive Music
- Quadrant Arts Education Research
- The Recording Academy
- Strathmore Hall Foundation
- VH1 Save the Music Foundation
Learn more about ASTA's involvement as a co-founder of the Music Education Policy Roundtable from this video featuring ASTA Past-President Bob Phillips, by clicking here